Marianne Miserandino received her B.A. in psychology from the University of Rochester, cum laude, and a Ph.D. in Social-Personality Psychology from Cornell University. Dr. Miserandino came to Arcadia University after a postdoctoral fellowship in Human Motivation at the University of Rochester and full-time teaching.
Her commitment to teaching is evidenced by her work as News Editor (1996-1998), reviewer, and frequent contributor to the APA journal Teaching of Psychology. During the summers of 1995-1997 she conducted a 4-week study abroad program in Vienna, Austria for the Arcadia University Center Education Abroad on the psychology of Sigmund Freud, Alfred Adler, and Viktor Frankl. She is a fellow of the American Psychological Association, and a member of the Association for Psychological Science, the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (Division 2 of the American Psychological Association), Sigma XI - The Scientific Research Society, and the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, and has served on the American Psychological Association Division Two Task Force for Minority Issues.
Dr. Miserandino is the 2010 winner of the Robert S. Daniel Teaching Excellence Award, Four-Year Colleges and Universities, from the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (Division 2 of the American Psychological Association). She was also the 2009 Arcadia University Professor of the Year and the 2000 recipient of the Lindback Award for teaching excellence. She currently maintains the Personality Pedagogy web site for teachers of personality psychology:
for which she received a grant from the Association for Psychological Science (APS) Fund for Teaching and Public Understanding of Psychological Science (October, 2006).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Causal Attribution
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
- Miserandino, M. (2012/2001). Insights in social psychology. Boston: Pearson.
- Miserandino, M. (2012). Personality psychology. Boston, MA: Pearson Academic.
- Miserandino, M. (1995). Instructor's resource manual to accompany Feldman Social Psychology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Miserandino, M. (1991). Memory and the seven dwarfs. Teaching of Psychology, 18, 169-171. [Reprinted in M. E. Ware & D. E. Johnson (Eds.), Handbook of Demonstrations and Activities in the Teaching of Psychology (Vol. II, 1996, pp. 178-180). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. Also reprinted in M. R. Hebl, C. L. Brewer & L. T. Benjamin, Jr. (Eds.), Handbook for Teaching Introductory Psychology (Vol. II, 2000, pp. 234-236). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.]
- Miserandino, M. (1998). Attributional retraining as a method of improving athletic performance. Journal of Sport Behavior, 21(3), 286-297.
- Miserandino, M. (2007). Heeere's Johnny: A case study in the five factor model of personality. Teaching of Psychology, 34, 37-40.
- Miserandino, M. (2006). I scream, you scream: Teaching validity and reliability via the ice cream personality test. Teaching of Psychology, 33, 265-268.
- Miserandino, M. (1992). Studying a social norm. Teaching of Psychology, 19, 103-106. [Reprinted in M. E. Ware & D. E. Johnson (Eds.) Handbook of Demonstrations and Activities in the Teaching of Psychology (Vol. III, 1996, pp. 272-275). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. Also reprinted in G. G. Brannigan (Ed.) Experiences in Social Psychology (2002, pp. 73-74). Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.]
- Miserandino, M. (1996). Teaching a personality course in Vienna. Teaching of Psychology, 23, 240-241.
- Miserandino, M. (1996). Children who do well in school: Individual differences in perceived competence and autonomy in above-average children. Journal of Educational Psychology, 88, 203-214.
- Miserandino, M. (1994). Freudian principles in everyday life. Teaching of Psychology, 21, 93-95. [Reprinted in Instructors Resources to accompany Psychology by David Myers and B & B Introductory Psychology Activities Handbook by Steven A. Schneider.]
- Miserandino, M. (2009). Teaching with wikis. In S. A. Meyers & J. R. Stowell (Eds.), Excellence in teaching (Vol. 8, pp. 25-28).
- Personality Pedagogy: A Wiki of Resources for the Teaching of Personality Psychology.
- Miserandino, M. (2008). The whole is greater: Wikis and other social tools in the classroom. Psychology Teacher Network, 18(3), 6-7. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Personality Psychology (with laboratory)
- Social Psychology (with laboratory)
- Phone: (215) 572-2183
450 South Easton Road
Glenside, PA 19038